I’m pleased to report the continued success of one of the many promising category one handicap young men I’m very fortunate to coach. Plus 2 h’cap Hillside’s Oli Clarke has rapidly been improving year on year having regularly secured his place in the England boys squads. No stranger to national and international competition,(as detailed below) the former Lancs boys champ was a late entrant to the prestigious Darwin Salver having been in the South for another event and playing well.
The large silver salver presented to Bernard Darwin by the Times Newspaper is the trophy for this prestigious event, open to gentlemen under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year of competition, with a category one handicap . Only 50 players are selected from those with the lowest handicaps.
The figure of 50 has special relevance as it commemorates the fact that Bernard Darwin was twice Captain of Rye, in 1906 and 1956, a gap of 50 years!
Usually played in the third week in March, the four round medal event, played at a good pace in two ball matches is possibly one of the earliest qualifiers of a high standard in the season, and is keenly fought on the rolling dry links and speedy greens of Rye. The event results are accepted by the World Amateur Golf Rankings.
With a four round total of 285 highlighted with a final round of 69 (css74) in gale force winds Oli finished runner up, two shots adrift from eventual victor Cameron Long on 283. Played over the tough links at Rye, host of many historic events has a reputation as a stern test of golf. Oli’s history of ball control playing links golf in the Southport certainly proved positive in this championship.
See Oli’s swing development here(video) as he pursues his dream of competing at the highest level as an amateur and ultimately as a professional.
Follow Fazakerley resident Oli’s progress this year as he competes in all the major world ranking amateur events. As a local boy he appreciates your support following him and is always actively seeking funding and would welcome any sponsorship that may kindly help him on his journey this busy year.
- Irish Boys Open 2015;
- Canadian International 2015;
- Fairhaven Nations Cup 2015;
- Canadian International 2014;
- McGregor Trophy Nations Cup 2014;
- RB Junior Masters 2014;
- England U16 v Ireland U16 2014;
- England U16 v Scotland U16 2014;
- England U16 v Spain U16 2014.
- EGU Regional Coaching: 2011/12.
- England Golf Regional Coaching: 2012/13.
- England Boys Squad 2014/15.
- National U18 Mcevoy Trophy
- National Men’s Selbourne Salver
- National U18 Fairhaven Trophy
- Local OOM Hesketh Henriques
- National Men’s Brabazon Trophy
- Local OOM Ashton and Lea Trophy
- National Men’s Scottish Strokeplay
- National U18 Faldo Series
- County Championship Lancashire Boys
- County Championship Lancashire Men
- National Men’s Welsh Men
- Local OOM Wallassey
- National U18 Henry Cooper **
- Local OOM Wiltshire Trophy
- Local OOM Pleasington Putter
- Local OOM Crompton and Royton
- National U18 Carris Trophy **
- National Men’s English Amateur Champ
- Local OOM Grange
- National U18 British Boys
- Local OOM Childwall Trophy
- National Men’s Duncan Putter
- Local OOM Mere Trophy
- Local OOM St Annes Trophy
- Yorkshire OOM Moortown Masters
- National Men’s Irish Amateur Champ